• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who's used a tow bar on an '02?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So I know the absolute best way to tow your '02 is with all four wheels off the ground. I may still go that route but I wanted to get feedback from the people on this forum that have had first hand experience using a tow bar on their '02. Do you have to do any drilling to the frame or body? Where do you hook it up? How hard was it to attach? I tried a search but didn't get a lot of specific information.

My '02, which started her trip by breaking down in the AZ desert as some of you may remember, is now all the way up in Yakima, WA. Just 180 more miles to go and then I can started working on the blown head gasket.

Guest Anonymous

I drilled through the BIG bumper, bolted the U shaped brackets to it, and then attached the tow bar to that, yes not ideal set up, suppose you could totally rip out the bumper shocks, but I didn't care, should probably replace with some sort of solid mount, then it should be "ok". I towed my shell (no engine or trans) all over as it was being restored, no problems, if you were is the Seaettle area I'd let ya borrow it,

Guest Anonymous

round light car. The front bumper brackets (except on a '73) are attached to the body with 8mm carriage bolts that fit into slots in the frame rails...not nearly strong enough to use for towing. I'd even be leery of towing a '73 with a bracket attached to the bumper brackets.

Cheers and be safe

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Actually I am in the Seattle area, Bellevue to be exact. I'd love to meet up with you and talk about how you attached everything. I'll probably also take you up on that offer and borrow your tow bar for a weekend. How can I get in contact with you? Send me mail and we can hook up.

Guest Anonymous

I could really use something like that for my shell in the near future. Please send me an email if your contraption is available.

Guest Anonymous

Towed it about 60 miles w/no problems, although it is a little un-nerving. If it's an early car, I don't see any prob with drilling the bumper (or an old one) and pulling it.