• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 starter wiring

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm starting the electrical stuff on my M20. Before I do anything I want to test to make sure the starter can crank the engine, and then go from there. The battery is out of the car, so I will use jumper cablesto just test it. Here is the plan:

Put black jumper cable on engine metal somewhere. The engine is grounded to the car.

Put the red jumper cable to the starter terminal with the big red wire coming off. Is this right?

The starter motor has a little spade connector coming off of it. Do I put that to 12v to crank the engine? Or is the starter signal one of the other screw posts? (there are a total of 3, I think). I haven't been able to find a wiring schematic anywhere.

Thanks all.

Guest Anonymous

I tried it...

I can hear the starter spin up, but it does not engage the flywheel. This means the solenoid isn't engaging, right?

Here's what I did:

Jumper cables from battery sitting on ground. The black jumper cable went to a piece of metal sticking off the intake manifold, and the red wire went to the terminal with the big red wire on the starter motor. I connected the green 2002 voltage regulator wire to +12 and the e30 black/yellow starter wire to the 2002 starter wire. Then I turned the ignition switch.

Is there a separate wire for the solenoid?

Many thanks yet again.

Guest Anonymous

Check the solenoid, it should have two prongs. One on which you have already connected a terminal, and the other where the terminal SHOULD be connected...