• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blow by & replacing piston rings (or is it something mor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have got one free day to do this. Too much blow by with engine not smoking at all. Engine is tired with low compression. If I was to replace the piston rings would I solve these problems or I have to replace the whole piston and ring ? I have read that also I can replace the rings with the block in the engine. How hard is that ?

ps. the blow by is so bad, I am loosing oil like crazy...and the smoke is also entering the car...

Guest Anonymous

You should always do a leakdown and compression test before you tear an engine down to determine where the leakage is comming from, the top or bottom ends.

Be careful with doing a ring job...if you have a high mileage engine and it has a good ridge at the top of the bore, you can break a ring easily....and then it will be much more than just a ring job...you need to look carefully at the bores...