• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Anyone rebuild an engine on a Toyota Pickup?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I believe it is a 1985 22R engine. I have a chance of picking up a free truck that needs an engine rebuild.

Anything especially difficult or easy? Anything I should know? Best place to get the parts?

Guest Anonymous

There was actually a Toyota Truck that pulled about 150' before he blew engine, tranny and who knows what. He was pulled out the way with a golf cart!

Michael

Guest Anonymous

It is actually not that hard. They are relly similar to

the 02. only thing is noone would listen to me how

the cam and rockers wen t back on, so they had to

take it back apart.

Andy Rattley

Guest Anonymous

Pretty straight forward engine to build. Use only OE timing components or you'll be back in it. Fel-Pro overhaul gasket set is reasonably priced if you don't want to spring for OE. Clevite / Top Line bearings will hold up also. My 022r

Guest Anonymous

The 22R is a pretty stout motor and is the Japanese mini version of the "small block Chevy." A stock rebuild is pretty inexpensive and building horsepower beyond 140HP is very expensive. Small ports, small bore, & long stroke produce good torque at low revs. I've built several and found a great source for high quality parts and machining. He's a racer/machinist who specializes in the 22R. Email me if you want his contact info.