• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bought and installed a set of 15 inch BBS wheels from a 1992 VW Jetta 16v. I'm running into the car shaking pretty much at any speed, sometimes more than others. I had them balanced this morning and that didn't cure it. The guy behind the counter told me that the hubcentrics may be an issue and that the balancing may not make a difference. I don't think the cause is a pre-existing problem as the shaking wasn't there just before installing the wheels. My plan is to replace the tires (S-03s) but I don't want to fork over the money if the car is going to ride like this.

I asked them to check to see if any of the wheels were bent and they told me two of four are, although they were still able to balance them. What do you guys think? Should I just take them (wheels) over to a wheel repair shop and have them straightened if need be and what is a fair cost on this service? Is hubcentrics an issue with these wheels on this car. I've seen an 02 with them on the board (Arizona car)so I didn't think their application would be a problem.

Could the used tires currently on the wheels be the sole cause? Tread seems fine, I don't see any unusual wear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JH

Guest Anonymous

Did you torque the wheels? Or just tighten them up?

If not torque them evenly (top to bottom, left to right), the specs are on the board somewhere (like 65 75 ft lbs)

The tires could be an issue (if a belt is out of whack)

HTH

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

the 3pc can be fixed quite reasonable if only the lips are bent (usually are). I've owned a few sets of each on a couple of vw's -they're very soft.

Guest Anonymous

I would have them straightened. I put a set of 15x7 BBS Euro E-30 rims on my car and I had vibration that was fixed by have them straightened. I am not saying it will fix your problem but it can't hurt. It cost me $50.00 a wheel to have them fixed.

Mark

Guest Anonymous

and if you put an adapter onto it that is, you may make the wheel un-hub-centric as bmw didn't bother to true the hub centers.

Of course, if you've gone to E21 parts, that car IS hubcentric...

And a bent wheel will cause all sorts of problems, balanced or unbalanced. The cars are pretty sensitive to it. The tires are verrrry good quality, so I'd not suspect 'em until after the wheels are round. But it's always possible to get a dud.

Something I'd do- put the bent wheels on the back, (for a short time, you can run the tires backwards if need be) and see if things change. Then try the fronts. I suppose it's possible that you could have a slightly bent hub or stub axle, and a bent wheel on top of it could add wobble...

hth,

t

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

never let anybody with an impact near them. They

can get balanced but the minute they get impacted

they get distorted and thus unbalanced. Don't trust

that special extension either.

I removed the wheels, let them relax, for a while

and used a torque wrench, no more shaking

Michael

72 02

Guest Anonymous

BBS's (and 3 very similar Audi BBS's) - all 6 are bent to varying degrees (none of them badly). From what I've been told these are very "soft" wheels and bend very easily.

You'll probably have better luck getting them to run smoothly if you have all four checked and straightened by a wheel shop (NOT a tire store)- check the thread attached to Dang's post above about wheel straightening as well.....