• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift Linkage removal/replacement questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm halfway though removing my 2002's early style linkage and replacing it with the later style linkage with all new parts. I have a few questions.

1. How is the selector rod removed from the back of the transmission? It is different than the later linkage, and not readily apparent.

2. What type of grease should I use on the ball and other parts when I reassemble?

Guest Anonymous

The end of the stick with ball on it (very technical, I know) will either have a hole with a nylon bushing set in it (where the pin on the shaft from the gearbox attaches), or a larger hole with a set screw that holds in a metal pin that holds the selector and the shaft to the gearbox together.

The picture in the FAQ article is closest to the later style. The earlier style has many more parts. If I wasn't at work, I could post a picture of each.

Guest Anonymous

The early style selector rod is attached to the joint at the transmission end by a horizontal pin. You do not need to remove this - just knock out the vertical pin that retains the joint to the rod coming out of the transmission. The selector rod and joint will then come out together.

I used a little anti-sieze compound as lubrication on the linkage, BTW. High heat resistance and very good persistence.