• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30 Timing Belt R&r Question

esty

i have a guy coming to the house to replace the timing belt on my 87 e30...i bought a book but can't find any reference to how to adjust the tensioner after replacing it...one end is slotted which makes me believe it has to be a certain snugness but how much tension and how do you gauge the tension when replacing the tensioner...

Is it M40 or M20. M20 tensioner should be spring loaded so you just loosen the nut, pri it back to change the belt release the tensioner and tighten. (I think. Its been a while). Its one of the easiest belts your likely to ever change. M40 is nearly as easy execpt the cam has a tendency to move so you have to lock it in place and the bottom end with a drill bit. Tension the M40 belt untill theres just a bit of give. Say 3mm. There a lot of talk about gauges to tension M40 belts and that its a specilist job but thats a load of old codswollop.

Sometimes the spring in the m20 tensioner falls off. This might be your case. Id tend to by a new one if thats the case. Makes life easier.

After the belt is on and the tensioner spring holding the belt, turn the engine over once or twice to settle the belt.  Then lock the tensioner in place with the bolt.  The spring does not keep any running tension on the belt, it's just the final setting of the tensioner and the locking in place.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.