• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Shoes

Kidasters

I was looking at my 911 tires the other day, and there are all sorts of dry rot cracks in them.  I also found the manufacture date - 01/02.   Ugh.  So, via Tire Rack, I ordered new shoes for her.  GoodYear Eagle GT's. At the same time, I found some 16" BBS RA wheels, newly refinished at a good price.  The only problem:  Could I really live with gold?  So, I thought I'd give it a try.

Here's before:

DSC01642_zps7b6c3cd2.jpg

and after:

DSC01643_zps6b25064a.jpg

I like it.  New wheels are 1" wider in front and back (7 vs. 6 front, and 9 vs 8 in rear).  Really looks nice I think.

New wheel centers are on the way, just to finish them off.  

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha.  Thanks Ray.  Center Caps arrived from Hungary yesterday (thanks e-bay).  They look nice.

Dave - I'd lower it to Euro height, but I'm already hitting the driveway with the spoiler protecting tow hooks now.  Any lower, I'd be carving things into the driveway.

Seat rails.  I don't think they are the same width.  I used adapters when I put the Scheels that came out of an early 70's 911 into the 2002.  I'm pretty sure the 2002 is wider.  But, I could be wrong.

Marshall - for 80 bucks a tire, it's gotta be better than 12 year old Kuhmo tires.  Besides, I drive like an old man - and I've driven like an old man on Michelin Pilot Sports or GoodYear Eagle GT's.  I can't tell the difference.  To me, it's like scotch.  My taste buds can't tell the difference between McAllen 30 year old and McAllen 10 year old.  But my wallet can - and 10 year old is about $100 bucks/bottle cheaper.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Marshall - for 80 bucks a tire, it's gotta be better than 12 year old Kuhmo tires.  Besides, I drive like an old man - and I've driven like an old man on Michelin Pilot Sports or GoodYear Eagle GT's.  I can't tell the difference.  

:lol: 

i may have to come down there and take that 911 away from you and leave you a same vintage Cadillac Cimmeron....you won't be able to tell the difference and the car would be more appropriate for an old man..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

2xM3

Hah!  Thanks Marshall.  Bring me a check and I'd happily let you drag her off....

One of my buddies is trying to get me to buy domestic anyway:

1965-1996-ERA-Ford-GT40-Replica-For-Sale

just trying to help!  ;)

was looking that the threaad on that GT40 replica.  i was visiting a friends on sat night who has one.  friends car is a new superperformance GT40 version he had built for him a year ago.  done in blue and orange. amazing car...which i could not drive as it is too small.  no room for feet, knees hit steering wheel, and not enough headroom for a helmet.  

2xM3

Yeah - they are beautiful, aren't they.  I know exactly where the pictures were taken for this car.  I'm betting the owner isn't far from my house.  I'd love to go see it, just to "try it on" - but I don't have $85K or room for it, and I don't want to be a tire kicker.

Oh - and my fat, old man body would also have issues.  I'm lucky, on my 911 - the original owner ordered the "sport" column for the steering boss.  Basically, it's 1-1/2" closer to the driver than a normal 911.  I seem to have long legs and stubby arms, because on my first 911, in order to get where my arms were comfortable, my knees hit the wheel, and where my legs were comfortable, my arms were stretched out far.  This 911 is perfect - that small adjustment makes a world of difference.

On a GT40, I'd probably need a Gurney bubble and be all kinds of uncomfortable.  And I'd probably have issues getting in and out.  But, it would probably be worth it.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Yeah - I think Superperformance actually owns the "GT40" name now.  I think they bought it from Ford.  I remember reading somewhere that they are the only "authorized" maker - or something like that.

I've wanted one since I was 10 years old.  With this car being in Houston, it's really hard to not sell the whole garage full of stuff to make room for my true dream car.  

Then again, I'd have to sell the 2002 - which has a lot of sweat equity.  The 911, which is sooooo much better than the first 911 I owned, and the Mini - which I'm mad at, but my wife says "it's my favorite old car that you own".  

grrrrr.  I need a barn.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.