• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter Issues...

ksollinger

Hi All-

So my starter was going out so I pulled it and had it tested and it failed so I ordered the SR440x to do the upgrade on my 76.  I put the starter in and wired it up properly, or what I think is proper and I get nothing.  No noise of any kind.  Battery is good, positive and negative cables on the battery are good and have clean contact points.  The cable from the battery to the starter is tight and the two wires that are joined into one connection are connected at the 6 o'clock position.  The only thing I can think of is the starter isn't properly grounded since I no longer have the anchor on the back end like the old one?  I tried arching the positive terminal to the switched and still nothing but a few sparks but no noise from the solenoid. I hooked a small pen power tester with a light to the switched terminal and it lights up when I turn the key but Im not getting anything at the starter.  Is there a relay somewhere Im missing or should I ground the starter to the block?  If I ground the starter to the block then where on the starter do I attach it?  I've searched and searched but still cant find my answers.

Thanks

Kelly

1976 Sierra Brown 2002

VIN 2375253

Second Owner

So after further testing I've come to the conclusion that my brand new starter is dead.  I pulled it again and attached it straight to the battery with some jumper cables, positive to the hot post, negative to the silver part of the case by where the gear pops forward and jumped it to the terminal with a screwdriver and nothing.  Im going to get it tested first thing tomorrow morning but does anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks

Kelly

1976 Sierra Brown 2002

VIN 2375253

Second Owner