• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Stalling Problem

Kvanoort

I have a 1975 BMW 2002 with an automatic transmission. Everything on the car is original equipment. I have owned the car for a few months and haven't had any issues with car until now. The car starts, idles and drives fine but after 10-20 minutes of driving it will suddenly stall when coming to a stop. When I try to restart the engine it just turns over and will occasionally backfire. After the car sits (usually blocking traffic) for a few minutes it will start again and run fine. To be proactive, I recently installed a new fuel filter but can't imagine that would cause the problem?

Please help with suggestions for how to begin identifying the problem. Thanks in advance.     

Edited by Kvanoort

Do you know which carb you are using? If you have the automatic choke on the original carb maybe that is the culprit. If you have a weber carb with a manual choke prolly not related. Some of the webers came with a automatic choke as well. How about the fuel pump electric or original head mounted manual push rod driven pump. I have seen this problem when the cars get hot and the pump is failing in hot weather. Maybe do a flow rate test on either style. Good luck !

BMW 2002 owner since 1981

• 1 month later...