• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will I get rid of slight gas smell in passenger compartment

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A.Pull the unused charcoal cannister and vapor return lines to trunk of car (utilizing the "euro vent" technique of running the vent hose out the bottom of the trunk)

B. Re route the fuel supply line from the existing line through the passenger compartment to utilize the currently unused steel excess fuel return line (which runs under the car along the frame)

C.By doing part B, I will also move the junction of the fuel supply lines (1/4 in to 5/16) from up by the windshield next to the firewall (where it currently is) to a place a little further into the engine bay, possibly down below the steering box where the steel return line ends and the rubber supply line begins.

D. Run french fry oil in the fuel tank to make the car smell like McDonalds (sorry, had to throw that in there!)

I realize that the slight gas smell is part of the aura of the car, but I would like to minimize the effect inside the passenger compartment.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

I did all of those things, and I have no gas smell. You might also want to seal the area around the rear bulkhead (behind the back seat) to keep fumes from the trunk out of the passenger compartment. Also, check your trunk lid seal. If it's trashed, it'll let exhaust fumes into the trunk, which can then get into the car.

HTH

Colin

Guest Anonymous

Good point about the trunk seal. I never even thought about that but I just so happened to have resealed my trunk gasket because the left rear corner of the seal kept falling into the trunk. I just wanted to keep water from getting into the spare tire well. Guess what - alot of that smell is now gone...

Guest Anonymous

I use to have all kind of smell in my 02 and here is what i did to solve fuel smell...i blew air with my mouth from the carb(yes it was carbed at first) and then have a budy "hear" any kind of hisss...believe it or not, the fuel sender was leaking, the gas cap, the expansion tank and the return line was so old and dry that it was allowing some vapour to exit by its pores...and not to mention the fuel tank by itself leaking from one of its joint...i never filled it up so how could i knew...so now, the on ly possible exit for fuel vapour is by the expansion tank and the vent is just...under the rear of the car...

Guest Anonymous

then I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of pulling the lines out of the interior. Maybe I could cap it at the trunk and then push it into the passenger compartment (under the back seat). Then I could plug the rear bulkhead wall tightly. Couldn't I just blow the lines clean before I cap them? I was thinking that if I used the fuel return line under the car, there would only be a couple inches of fuel line exposed in the trunk area vs. several feet of fuel line exposed when it runs through the compartment.

Maybe another thing for me to consider is replacing the fuel line that runs from the steel return line to the tank itself (can't be much more than a foot or two). That way I would have effectively replaced ALL of the rubber portions of the fuel supply line from the tank to the fuel pump.

Any thoughts?

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

On my '72, I pulled all plastic line out of the passenger compartment, replaced the rubber line from the metal return line to the tank and connected the tank end to the fuel pickup connection on the fuel sending unit. I blocked off the return connection on the tank. In the engine compartment, I used a tubing bender to bend the metal line so it runs up the firewall and then forward to within about 6" of the engine. I then connected it to the fuel pump with rubber line, with an inline filter before the pump. My Weber 38/38 doesn't need a return, and the car runs great with no gas smell. I also took out the whole vapor recovery system, lines, etc. and installed a vented aluminum racing "flip" type cap. It looks cool and works great. If you want to keep the stock gas cap. I'd run a vent line through the trunk floor like the euro 2002s had. Just make sure it is well away from the exhaust pipes where it exits through the floor!

Colin