• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotta love Pete McHenry

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

more on my 'urgent transmission' question below.. I verified it now with a few emails from some guys (thanks, you know who you are!!) and then sealed it now with a call to Pete McHenry. he verified that its a no-brainer.. the 325 flywheel should work fine.

so what 'works' is

- m20 engine

- getrag 245 ('82 320 5speed) trans

- 323i 5speed bellhousing

- 323i throwout bearing

- stock e30 (228mm) clutch and flywheel

and i'm good to go...booyah!

he also mentioned that they didn't do any m20 swaps for the longest time.. now in the past while they have done half a dozen again. His reasoning was that prices on s14's seem to be going up again..

he also said they have done 41 s14 swaps at the shop. crap. thats a lot of m2002's that we don't know about! 41!!!

thanks guys

Matt

Guest Anonymous

When you say to use the 320i 5speed tranny with the E21 323i bellhousing, what does that mean?? Neither the 320i 5-speed nor the 323i 5-speed have a removeable bellhousing (i.e.- the bellhousing is an integral part of the tranny case). I seem to remember in his original "2602" articles (M20-2002 transplant), Pete wrote about putting the guts from one tranny into the 4 speed 323i tranny. From what I've seen, the 5-speed E21 323i trannies are pretty rare in the USA.

Let us know what you find out.

Bret.

Guest Anonymous

DCP_2404.JPG

Nope, they are 'removable'. Well, at least thats what I call a bellhousing. Maybe the real name is 'front casing'?. Check out the picture. I just got a 323i 5speed bellhousing from Dave Varco @ Aardvarc.. and the shop here should have the sucker on by tommorow.

BTW, someone else from the roadfly board also successfully used a 323i *4speed* front case.. but had to do some machining to get it to fit onto the getrag 245. This way is just easier I guess. simple bolt-on

Matt

Guest Anonymous

in my next convertion, i am going to use a 89-91 318is,or 90-93 318ic 5speed and go electronic speedo, this will bolt up to the baby six and has a smaller flair in the bell housing than the regualar 325/528e trans. will let you all know when i get it in and working....in the past i had used the 4speed out of a 323i. the way pete is talking is you have to buy a 323i case($$$) and put the 320 guts in it...ouch....