• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting problems

I have a 71 1602 all stock. I have some electrical gremlins that are really making me scratch my head. Can't get the car started The starter is going in slow motion- turning over about one crank every two seconds and then speed to a normal pace and then revert to the slow mo again.

Here's what I have done to isolate- battery is good. Trickle charged and checked holding a charge of about 12.65v. My next step is to check the main positive/negative cable connections and cleaning ensure continuity. I have noticed two other things- 1) that the small battery to body ground connection that comes off the negative pole gets really hot (plastic melting hot) during cranking ( it has good continuity all the way to the body) and 2) when getting out of the car I have a small static charge that sparks when I open the door using my left hand.

This all might be a premature request for advice once I clean the major connections, but is there anything else I should look at / consider?

This site awesome- I have used the site for fixing the blinker light mod and fixing a gas tank issue. Many thanks in advance.

R/Barry W

Portsmouth, VA

[/u]

J B Westerwick

Portsmouth VA

78 Alfa Romeo Veloce Spyder

86 Alfa Romeo Veloce Spyder

71 1602 Sahara

YES - attend to the batt-to-body GROUND cable - tight and clean metal

contact at both ends

motor-to-body ground cable needed

cable from batt POS-to-STARTER needs attention

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

the shock you get when exiting the car is nothing to be concerned about - static build-up. Clean your connections.