• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas on removing chrome from wheels????????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I m tring to prepare my cragers so I can paint them. I am beadvlasting them in my blaster. Or at least that was my plan I am still on the first wheel after an hour. I did a set of stovk wheels in 15 minets but the chrome dosn't want to give up. Is there any way to screw up chrome. I took wire wheel acid and left it sit on one for 30 min. and this did nothing. Help me out

Austin

Guest Anonymous

Yup...regular cleaning bleach eats chrome. It isn't quick, but it will get the job done eventually. I have stripped a few chromed parts using this technique but I'll warn you, you have to buy A LOT of bleach. Simply find a cardboard box and line it with plastic(or find a plastic container that can hold the chrome part you wish to dechrome) then fill with bleach and sit the piece in it for a while till it stops bubbling/reacting. Then dump the old bleach and pour in new bleach till all the chrome is gone. Pretty simple but a bit time consuming. Only thing is, all the parts I have done this with were chrome plated plastic parts....not sure if the bleach would affect the bare steel at all. Might want to look into that first. Hope this helps.

Alvin Caragay

BMWCCA# 156055

'72 BMW 2002

'97 Toyota Tacoma

pair of '90 Yamaha FZR400's

Guest Anonymous

They always dechrome first. It's the chroming process that's the expensive part. I don't think dechroming would be that costly. I don't think you should risk damaging the base metal surface before you paint the wheels.

Gil

72 Tii