• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 volt dry cell or lithium ion alternative?

moebiius

Ive searched the forum to no avail; my question is, does anyone have any knowledge of manufacturers that produce a 6 volt lithium ion or dry cell, preferably lithium ion. I ask this because my interstate 19L for my Ti doesnt seem like its cutting it. My motorcycle battery was in the same situation and i replaced it with a lithium ion and the cranking was a lot stronger. I've searched the net but I'm not sure of the proper keywords to use. Can anyone shed some light on this question? Thank you

Ken

Thanks Mike, the optima seems like a good candidate, albeit its got a weird shape and most likely wont fit the oem tray. I was thinking something more on these lines except with 1k CCA

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/LFX18L2-BS06.html

Thanks

Ken

Interesting battery, and a decent price.

OEM tray, hmmm... The Optima can be mounted in any position, I would mount it under the rear seat. Lots of room there. This is what Im doing on my 1800Ti (although I've already done the 12v conversion).

Thanks Mike, the optima seems like a good candidate, albeit its got a weird shape and most likely wont fit the oem tray. I was thinking something more on these lines except with 1k CCA

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/LFX18L2-BS06.html

Thanks

Ken

Interesting battery, and a decent price.

OEM tray, hmmm... The Optima can be mounted in any position, I would mount it under the rear seat. Lots of room there. This is what Im doing on my 1800Ti (although I've already done the 12v conversion).

The Optima 6V should fit the OG tray diagonally. Hopefully the cables will fit, and you need to fashion a proper hold down for it. On my '66 1600-2 I had the starter rebuilt and that greatly helped the 19L battery perform its function better.

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Ken,

Tom brings up a good point in regards to the starter condition. A bad armature bushing may bog down the starter to the point where it won't turn at all. What leads you to believe your 6-volt system isn't up to snuff?

Luis

Thanks Tom.

Luis,

I'm not used to how weak/strong a 6 volt system is compared to a 12, however, compared to the cranking power of the old battery, there isn't much difference with cranking power with the new interstate 19L battery. As per the starter, i have not looked into it yet. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ken

In my experience the 6 volt starting seems very sluggish, even with a new battery, when compared to a 12 volt system. I'll try to get a video of mine starting in the next week and post it. Maybe you can do the same and we can compare.

Luis

• 1 month later...