• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro Turn Signal - Help!

SFbay2002

Hello all,

So I finally bogged down and bought a set of Euro lenses and I love them. They especially look good against a white car. I read through the forum topics on the subject and decided to go with the Tap a Light from Uhaul. It seem pretty straight forward, installed a few matching connections on the end of my wires and installed.

Now the part that is driving me crazy and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Let me start that I tried all wire reconfigurations, one at a time, etc. When I turn the key, the turn signals work great, bright, problem. Then I try the headlight and parking light, both come on and work great. But, when the headlights are on, the turn signals do not work. As soon as I turn off the headlights, the signals work again. Also, whether both are connected or just the one side at a time, when I turn on the headlights or parking lights, the flasher light stays lit as shown in the photos.

What am I doing wrong or missing??!!! It's only too wires each yes??

Any help will make this headache go away....

Louis

post-19740-13667659094419_thumb.jpg

Hi I'm trying to install my euro signals, they don't work at all. There's only one wire (blue) with a soldered end that goes into the spring loaded push pin connector. How did you connect the light bulb? I had to open the two tips a little to get the buld in. Is there a particular orientation that the bulb has to sit. There are two tiny raised dots on the side of my bulb, did you have to make sure they go underneath the flanges? Thanks.

Just read your post quickly, but how´s the voltage? If it´s low there might not be power left to drive the flasher unit/relay when the headlights are on..

Otherwise it sounds a bit like ground.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

Voltage is great, both turn signal and parking lights are bright. I swapped them to check. I was thinking ground also but with the flasher assembly even wired and not screwed into the car the soild turn signal light on the dash will stay on when the lights are on. I am stumped...

I have Euros and I removed the front side maker lights on mine. The Euro lights only support the one activity. You can hook them up as Parking lights or as Turn Signal Lights. You have to choose witch wire to put on the back of the connector of the Euros. If you put both on the same connection, then the lights will do as you have described because the bulb is a single element.

What I did was take a two element bulb (Turn and Parking). I soldered wire directly to each part of the bulb. Then I put bullet connectors on the ends of the wires.

After that, I threaded the bulb into the socket and did not connect the quick release on the euro lights. I connected the Brighter element to my turn signal power wire and the dimmer element to the parking light power supply.

I read somewhere there is someone that converts Euros to support two element bulbs, but don't know the details.

Good luck.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping not to have to go down the soldering route...The tap a light is a dual filament bulb though so it should represent both? If not, turn signals are much more important in city driving then the parking lights.

Yes, the Euro lights use single filament bulbs, and are intended to be the turn signal. The parking light was inside the headlight assembly ("City Lights").

As I recall, the wiring harness kind of looks like the parking light wire had been extended by the factory to reach the turn signal housing.

As of the late 60's US law required an amber marker light visible from the front and side of the car, hence the bubble shape of the US lights. European law did not seem to have the same requirement.

Brian McCarthy

74 Golf 2002

90 Gletscherblau 735i

01 A***

02 M***

PO left me with one wire to connect to the turn signal, its light blue.

How do I check to see if theres a current and whats the right voltage?

I have Euros and I removed the front side maker lights on mine. The Euro lights only support the one activity. You can hook them up as Parking lights or as Turn Signal Lights. You have to choose witch wire to put on the back of the connector of the Euros. If you put both on the same connection, then the lights will do as you have described because the bulb is a single element.

What I did was take a two element bulb (Turn and Parking). I soldered wire directly to each part of the bulb. Then I put bullet connectors on the ends of the wires.

After that, I threaded the bulb into the socket and did not connect the quick release on the euro lights. I connected the Brighter element to my turn signal power wire and the dimmer element to the parking light power supply.

I read somewhere there is someone that converts Euros to support two element bulbs, but don't know the details.

Good luck.

Im

There is another wire that is connected to your Side Marker Lights. You can splice into them, or if they were removed, the wire should be somewhere. It is also a single wire.

You can just use a voltmeter to test the wires. Turn on the parking lights and test the wire. Turn off the parking lights and turn on the turn signals for the side you are testing and see if you get power.

If you don't have a voltmeter you can even use a continuity tester. Just clip it to a ground and use the pointy side to the wire. It will light up. You can pick up very inexpensive voltmeter at Harbor Freight or O'Reilly's has really cheap continuity testers.

Power to all these wires is 12v. You have 12v car.

Hope this helps.

08 Alpina B7

Sorry Louis for hijacking your thread; I'm going through a similar situation. I found the other wire (BROWN) intended for the side marker. Now when I connect the "running light" BROWN wire to the push pin connector on the euro light it comes on with the headlights. On the opposite side I have the BLUE wire connected and it comes on, blinking with the Hazard but my flashers are not working; neither Front or Rear. The rear blinkers worked previously. Retracing my steps, only difference is the front signal lights were not installed when the rear blinkers worked. Could it be my blinker switch or blinker relay? How do I go about checking. Also now when I touch the key to the ignition, car makes this electronic high E sound. Any ideas. My goal right now is to have lights work so I can register this darn F ing car. Man I'm really sucking right now. Please hellllllpppppp : )

There is another wire that is connected to your Side Marker Lights. You can splice into them, or if they were removed, the wire should be somewhere. It is also a single wire.

You can just use a voltmeter to test the wires. Turn on the parking lights and test the wire. Turn off the parking lights and turn on the turn signals for the side you are testing and see if you get power.

If you don't have a voltmeter you can even use a continuity tester. Just clip it to a ground and use the pointy side to the wire. It will light up. You can pick up very inexpensive voltmeter at Harbor Freight or O'Reilly's has really cheap continuity testers.

Power to all these wires is 12v. You have 12v car.

Hope this helps.

If you don't have your front blinker bulbs connected there is not enough draw on the circuit to make the flasher to work. Similarly, if one bulb on the circuit is out, the flasher will go slow.

Good luck.

08 Alpina B7

If you don't have your front blinker bulbs connected there is not enough draw on the circuit to make the flasher to work. Similarly, if one bulb on the circuit is out, the flasher will go slow.

Good luck.

That sounds promising. What dual element bulb did you get; specs? Which is the brighter source, (BROWN) running light or (BLUE) hazards? Just want to point out that the rear signal worked previously without front signal lights being installed. Could it be a weak battery cuz the battery is going I've got it on a trickle charger, but I going to get the yellow boat battery.

Can I get an amen, all lights are operational. Thanks to all the awesome folks on here and especially one detailed write up, I got everything working. For me the fix was a $4 part from autozone called a clearance light part number B486R. With the Euro lights, another light needs to be added for the circuit to complete I guess and that way, enough current is drawn to run the driving and blinkers. So I hook up the Blue wire which operates the blinkers to the push pin connector on the lamp and the Brown wire which is the running/parking light to the clearance bulb that I bought from Autozone and presto. I'll find the link that saved my butt.

Update: So if one bulb is out, the blinkers will not work. This just happened to me as I went back to the car. Apparently the motherless TPS is acting up. Had to get rough with her and slam on the accelerator.