• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GREETINGS FROM SOUTH AFRICA

classicman

Hi

I am in SA and have just finished a 10 year restoration project on a '74 tii. It is a RHD Eurospec Model 73 car and I am the second owner. I did a complete nut and bolt on the car and built it to Alpina A4 spec with most of the correct goodies. The car is 95% complete and I trailered it to her first show 10 days ago. This is what she looked like at the show:

TIIphoto8.jpg

The reason I trailered her is that I am struggling to set up the injection system. I have followed the Haynes, BMW and Jaymic methods and still can't get it right. I have just downloaded the manual of this site from BMW North America and will give it another bash before I seek help. I bought an "Alpina A4" Kugelfischer pump off eBay some time ago and hope that this is not the issue. I'm getting it close though, so I am pretty sure it is the CO2 mixture setting that is teasing me. Anyway, hopefully joining this forum will be the start of the end of my problems.

74tii - Alpina A4 Spec

71 3.0 csl - to be restored

Welcome SA ,

photo up close of your injection / linkage please

and be more specific as to when it runs poorly?

Cold Start

Warm-up

hot?

idle?

partial throttle?

full throttle ?

got Co% & HC ppm readings? Fuel/O2 ratio readings ?

and list all the things about your motor settings like

timing, ignition, compression readings, strange combinations

of head/cam/pistons/ignition advance components?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

The problem is across the range and manifests in an idle that hunts between 900 and 1,200rpm, as well as popping and backfiring higher up the rev range. The CO2 readings are about 2.5% at idle and just short of 4% at 3,000 to 4,000rpm. This tells me it's running lean.

I have synchronised the linkage from the pump to the throttle body and seem to be struggling with the mixture settings between the enrichment lever on the warm up transmitter, and the air mixture setting in the throttle body.

The ignition timing is et at TDC with the points just about to open. I'm still using points and condensor as my Pertronix Ignitor turned out to be faulty. The coil is a 40,000v Flame Thrower unit that came with the Pertronix module.

Engine is newly rebored to 89.5mm with std tii pistons (new). Compression ratio increased to 10:1 and 39mm exhaust valves fitted. I'm running an Alpina 300deg cam from Jaymic in the UK.

In the Manual I have just downloaded off this site, I see it tells you how to set the air mixture in the Throttle Body which the other manuals neglect to do. It also states not to adjust the screw on the enrichment lever as this is factory set. The Mike McCartney book that I was relying on recommends using this. I'm going to work through the manual tonight and recheck all of the settings again, but the adjustment screw on the enrichment lever worries me now.

Any advice?

74tii - Alpina A4 Spec

71 3.0 csl - to be restored

• 5 months later...