• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Rally/Rallycross Drivers?

lumbergh17

Hey there,

A buddy and I have been chatting lately about rallying and I thought maybe some of you here had some experience. We are looking into some sort of Stock class, and were wondering what kind of Licensing would have to be acquired and what to expect. Just looking around the web I've found Nasa Rally Sport, and they just had the Black River Rally.

Any input? Not necessarily looking to rally the 2002 but just curious as to how to approach this stuff.

Thanks.

1988 Bmw E30 M50 Turbo

1975 Bmw 2002

I've ran SCCA rallycross several times. It's not quite the same level as stage rallies, but it's a whole lot of fun with very little prep or commitment needed. No licensing or anything required. Some regions even have a club rental car, where newbies are a allowed to try it with a dedicated beater car.

I've done it with a totalled Nissan Maxima, a road course prepared Mk. I GTI, and an 08 Ford Focus that was an actual rental car that we returned covered in mud.

So, see if you can find in SCCA rallycrosses in your area, and just show up with any car that you're not too concerned about. Most modern cars oughta be able to handle a beating at it. I'd be careful about taking a vintage car, though, unless you know everything is rock solid and rust-proof and all bolts are tight.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to look into Rallycross, there should be something, I'm in Upstate New York.

I run a 2002 as a rally car in New Zealand so I can help with general things but licensing is obviously country specific

I think I talked to you before about one of your videos. Have you guys had anything fall apart on your car? What are the weak points?

1988 Bmw E30 M50 Turbo

1975 Bmw 2002

We once broke a shock landing after a jump and recently I had a cv joint fail on the start line.

I run an E30 rear subframe, diff, axles so breaking the cv was unexpected, however it was a 2nd hand one I'd picked up cheap and it had been in the rally car for a couple of years.

I use RAV4 shocks (Bilstein) in the rear and had them put in an internal spacer to reduce the extension by 50mm and haven't had any problems still.

Most of our local stages are closed public roads so they may be smoother that what is typical in other places

We once broke a shock landing after a jump and recently I had a cv joint fail on the start line.

I run an E30 rear subframe, diff, axles so breaking the cv was unexpected, however it was a 2nd hand one I'd picked up cheap and it had been in the rally car for a couple of years.

I use RAV4 shocks (Bilstein) in the rear and had them put in an internal spacer to reduce the extension by 50mm and haven't had any problems still.

Most of our local stages are closed public roads so they may be smoother that what is typical in other places

Do you have any pics of the rally car?

75 2002 M20 alpina rally clone

77 323 gt3 race car

91 e34 M5

86 Ford F-250 521 big block 

Nice car looks like fun . What did you do to protect the oil pan and under body?

What springs are you running ? I want to do some rally's around hear but they

are nasty rough , gorman rally and the high desert trails rally .

75 2002 M20 alpina rally clone

77 323 gt3 race car

91 e34 M5

86 Ford F-250 521 big block 

See this thread from earlier this year

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,355813/highlight,/

I have a big 5mm thick aluminium sump guard which extends from just behind the air dam back past the cross member and big polyurethane mud flaps. I also repaint the underside of the car fairly often.