• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Engine stand questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.marsmann.com/2002tii/

Hey gang,

I removed my 72tii's motor last weekend but still have it hanging on my engine hoist. The bolts for the trans are too short to use with my engine stand and although they appear to be 8mm, they vary all along the bell housing of the trans in terms of girth.

What do you guys use? Where can I get bolts that are long enough to go through the engine stand to support my engine? The longest ones I've found (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) are usually 8mmx75mm which isn't long enough.

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Have your local welding shop make you a 3/8" steel plate that you can bolt to the side of the engine. Then fabricate a support to your engine stand. More support is better.

Guest Anonymous

8 mm bolts are nowhere near enough strength for a safety margin, esp. when they are "loaded in shear" at that length.

Most stands have slots that need only minor mods (one small notch in one slot) to allow using M10 fasteners on the mount brackets of the exhaust side. You need to get some spacer (thick washers) to deal with the staggered height of the threaded bosses (it will be obvious where).

This is simpler & much safer, and that's how BMW pictures it in their service books.

(I posted a picture that showed this a couple days back.)

// John