• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Portland 02ers?

PSloan

Drive out the gorge via the old historic columbia river highway to Hood river, have a beer at Full sail, and cross over to the WA side. Take WA hwy 14 back to Portland.

There are tons of cool things to see depending on how far you want to travel. Smith rock if you're into rock climbing, eastern oregon has some cool lava tubes. Oregon Raceway Park is about 2 hrs east of portland, it's a new track but is easily the best in the NW and once it's fully developed it will be nicer than Laguna Seca IMO.

It's kinda out of the way, but you could visit it on the way to cannon beach, Mary's Peak south of Corvallis is the tallest peak in the coastal range at around 4300ft and has amazing views + the road to the entrance and up it are both excellent driving roads.

There's tons of things to do outdoor wise depending on what you're into.

Bagby hotsprings is another place to consider visiting, it's south east of portland.

We also have excellent junkyards ;)

I would agree Portland is a great place to live. You have been getting some great ideas. If you are interested in wine tasting there are lots of wineries in this area as well. On a BMW note the CCA is putting on the second annual Northwest BMW Motorfest on 8/13. This may be a bit early in the month but if you are in town a good option to meet some fellow enthusiasts. There is also a group of us that meet most Thursday nights. Please shoot me an email if you would like more information.

Mark

Patrick,

Portland is a great city. There are many cool neighborhoods thruout the area, where you can live, park your car and walk to pubs, good food and good entertainment.

There is a first class health facility near downtown(Oregon Health and Science University).

The politics tend to be liberal.

Its a bicycle town, and very dog friendly.

The weather from Nov to April can be drippy and cool.

My wife and I moved to Portland from LA area back in the 70's. We spent most of our lives in Salem...smaller town, worked for us. Both my sons live near Portland and really like it.

Best of Luck

Craig

1972 2002 Sahara
2017 228i

2019 F 250

Portland is great, my wife did grad school there while I was in Seattle, always fun to visit...want to live there, but won't because all family is up here!

Visit: Hawthorne neighborhood, Sellwood neighborhood (muddy rudder is a good pub around there) and a bunch of other neighborhoods for some good walking around shops and locals (google search portland neighborhoods.....gives you a good idea). Lots of "food carts" provide GREAT cheap food in many varieties

Micro-brews are great down there, skip the chain McMenimans and go to Bridgeport, Deschutes public house, Hop Works, Lucky lab.....among the other 30 or so down there. Visit Beesaw's on NW 23rd for a GREAT Happy Hour menu and also one of the best Egg's Bennedicts i've ever had.

Drive around the "West Hills" for some nice houses and good views (though expensive houses)

Saturday Market downtown is cool and fun, not too far from Voodoo (long lines though for doughnuts)

Some random facts, more micro-breweries per capita..and more strip clubs per capita (yes, but don't deter yourself over this)

Anyway, just my 02 cents...... great place, quirky fun, and unique!

-Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

Guest Anonymous

yup, portland 02er,

Portland is a big change from Houston. I recommend visiting non-stop from Jan 10th to Feb 10th to see if it is what you are expecting. You really have to be able to go weeks without sun, which is always a constant in Houston. There is a different vibe in tourist season, and when there are S.A.D. people around it can be a bummer for even those of us that love the greyness.

I have been here 12 years and met my wife here who is from Salem. Her parents are relocating to Colorado to experience being grandparents, and soon we will follow. I will miss the weather when we go.

Getting home to OK is really tough sometimes. The last trip to visit my family there took over 30 hours which included sleeping for a few hours on the floor in the denver airport while the TSA people started their day. I feel that living here when there were non-stop flights home, and flying was as easy as hopping on a bus, the holidays and family moments were a breeze.

Anyways, Portland is a tiny bubble, and it is very SOHO now. You could probably find a similar vibe some days in the French Quarter or the Riverwalk. Serously though, liberal or conservative its all just flag waving. If your flag is political and left leaning then you can ask anyone you encounter to wave that flag for about 2 seconds with you, and then that moment passes.

So, I don't know if that helps you, but I've been to Houston several times and like the people but not the weather.