• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Porsche style Synchro rings in good condition

Highgrade

The syncro rings you seek are still available new from BMW... The syncros for the early "long neck" 4spd trans are the same part numbers as those for the late NK and early '02 short neck 4spd transmissions. Part# 23 23 1 200 958 is what you seek.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2511&mospid=47125&btnr=23_1055&hg=23&fg=15

An old transmission builders trick with the Porsche style syncro rings is that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear syncros are the same part and you can swap them around, even flip them backwards to shortcut having to replace them for a while.... So, you can even flip the 1st gear syncro over to use the less worn side. ;-)

If you do not have a BMW dealer local to you that will help you with these parts then Maximillian Importing here in the US should be happy to assist.

If you'd like to find those or other parts like what are no longer available from BMW you might try La Jolla Independent BMW Service they have an extensive NOS parts selection.

Also Jaymic in England and Walloth and Nesch in Germany

Cheers and HTH,

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Hi Tom,

thank you for a super helpful reply, I didnt know that the synchro rings either could be swapped and flipped over to use the less worn side :-) thats gonna save me some time to look for a more recent 4spd tranny or a 5 spd as the cost of replacing the synchros is unbelievably high.

thanks

Omar

Do Good Attitood