• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay 73

Marsattacks

Ends today. Reserve is 10k. Seems high except seller has lots of sunk costs making it track-worthy. Original looking on exterior except for the wheels. I would assume that the dings in belt trim are from a botched effort to remove it but not really sure. Any comments? Seller says no rust was tolerated due to track plans but I assume some repair was carried out. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-BMW-2002-Street-Track-Race-Many-Upgrades-2K-Miles-/140563881846?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20ba429f76#ht_1524wt_948

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

Oops, since this morning a new bidder with 3 bids (all on this specific listing) has jumped in and upped the bidding to $10k. This auction already had an apparently fraudulent chandelier bid (subsequently retracted) put in to fish the reserve out. So now the new high bidder is a zero-feedback person. And a few other very low feedback repeat bidders.

I feel sorry for the seller. What a pain.

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

I personally bid on this car and lost the auction by .01. I could not watch the end of the auction due to other plans. So I put out a max bid and hoped for the best. Needless to say I'm extremely disapointed. I don't own a 2002 yet and really want one. I guess I'll keep looking. Next post will be wanted to buy.

Cheers.

Dean

I don't know of this car/owner. Hmmm. They definitely spent some $$ on it. With all the local BMWCCA events I've gone to, you'd think I'd have met the owner. Perhaps they have little or nothing to do with the local 'CCA.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I don't know of this car/owner. Hmmm. They definitely spent some $$ on it. With all the local BMWCCA events I've gone to, you'd think I'd have met the owner. Perhaps they have little or nothing to do with the local 'CCA.

The kid is selling for the dad.. I think he likes to embellish.

I knew the car was there, in that area. I saw it sticking out of the garage a few years ago while I was down there working. I asked my client to keep an eye out and get me an introduction, but it never happened. I emailed via the ebay ad, and the kid was nice enough, but definitely not a 2002 maniac. And dad was apparently trying to live a teenage fantasy.

I swear I saw a CL ad for this car before.. It seems like he even directly copied the old ad into ebay.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Jim, based on Dean's post abvove I assume they actually got a whopping price. Dean, I assume you are the new bidder I mentioned above with three bids/no feedback. Sorry, I had thought you were a sham bidder because it is odd for an ebay newby to be bidding so much in the way you bid (nibbling away at the reserve etc). If it is any consolation you did not lose the auction by one cent. The winner might have been willing to go another 2k -- we will never know. This particular auction is a classic example of how bidders using ebay like a "real" auction (instead of the fixed-termination auction it really is) can lead to strange results (usually inflating the price). Buyers would be far better off as a whole if everyone simply sniped when bidding instead of getting into bidding wars that are hopeless and just up the price. Sellers would be worse off.

Now we'll see if the deal closes. The seller seemed like a nice guy but communication was very spotty for a 10k ask.

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

I had talked to the son within an hour of the car being listed so I had a 20 minute conversation and had learned the reserve at that time. After that though, communication was about non existant even though I had made attemps to do so.

I felt if the car truly had the original paint and minimal surface rust with a good amount of money spent on it, It could work for me as a fun track/street car. Even though there were some things I would need to change and or upgrade. I never have even driven a 2002. I thought I would jump in head first, and hope the car was really clean and mechanicaly sound. If i really liked it have it painted in couple years.

No offense taken about the sham bidder I was just trying to gauge interest in the car. I really only wanted to spend the reserve but since I could not watch the end of the auction I put in a max bid and hoped it would not reach it. So I'm really a serious buyer and will obtain a 2002.

Dean