• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

which model kmac type upper strut bearing?

Tbone

I'm between these two versions from Bavauto-- the street + limited track and the High performance street + regular track. Granted, I'll be doing 95% commuting, 4% mountain/backroads and 1% actual track. I prefer some vibration damping bushing over the more serious solid mounts I've seen elsewhere. I'm leaning towards the High perf since it has pretty alignment marks machined into it so I can fiddle without taking multiple trips to an alignment shop. Any opinions/experience with either version?

Thanks

post-2584-13667642946234_thumb.jpg

post-2584-13667642947017_thumb.jpg

I ordered, the "type 1" models, which don't look like the ones in the picture. It appears they have revised the design and from the looks of it, I would say the new style are now more robust.

You can see my experiences with them here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,357266/

Note that I am using the VW Rabbit inserts and not the usual 2002 ones.

I forgot to say that mine came from bavauto 1 month ago. The part number on my parts matched the old style part number, but the design is clearly different. I think they did it to better set the bearing in the urethane whilst allowing better clearance for more range of adjustment.

All that vibration from the road is transferred up into the bearing.

Race style are going to be inherently more upkeep (replacement of the spherical bearing after a couple of races or so [depending heavily on driver]) but provide a crisper feedback (no dampening). Therein lies the corollary, the street oriented ones would last longer on the street but provide a slightly dampened feedback.

It's just common sense.