• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electrical problems or should I say, I am the problem!!!!

OK when it rains it really pours.

I just got done with a 320i radiator switch, an electric fan add on and a larger alternator replacement and everything seemed to be working OK and then all hell breaks loose.

I don't think its related to the alternator switch but I am keeping my fingers crossed, but my battery keeps draining.

First, I the hazard switch keeps coming on, it just pops out and the switch turn on the hazard lights which I think drain the battery (I am going to disconnect the hazard switch today until I get a new one), but then when I charge the battery and replace it, without the stereo being turned on or the car being on I start getting noise coming out my rear speakers. Battery is in the trunk and speakers are right above battery so its really weird.

I can imagine that there is a grounding problem with the speakers, but could that also be contributing to discharging the battery.

I know that this is weird and it is probably child's play but I am basically a child when it comes to electrical problems. Its a state of mind thing.

Also when I installed the auxilliary fan I went to the green wire in the fuse box which I believe is the horn but also may be the fuse for some other things.

Any ideas other than just doing one thing at a time replacing the hazard switch.

OH one final electrical ghost, when the hazard switch pops out (by itself) and the battery is nearly drained there is a constant clicking coming from the dash board that only stops when I get the hazard switch pushed in again. Like the hazard lights are going at a crazy speed.

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

Let me see if I can help out here:

1) The switch popping out and leaving hazards on overnight will probably drain your battery this is very common on older BMW's. You can disassemble the switch and push the little lever that keeps it on the track a bit inwards careful not to brake it and that can fix it. Make sure the spring inside doesn't touch the electrical contacts. (Or get a new one!)

2) Usually sounds on the speakers are cause for a lack of a condenser on the alternator which absorbs those odd noises.

3) The clicking sounds is the hazard relay.

Check voltage on the battery with the car on and all accessories on it should be 14.0v-14.5v, 13.5v the least!

Also with the car off check for current drainage with the multimeter on amps or do the old bush mechanic trick of taking off the negative burner off the battery and just rub it on the battery post and check for sparks. Little sparks will mean there is something draining current in your car. (Make sure all accessories lights etc are off!)

I Don't think the speakers are draining you car's battery sometimes if they get in contact with the metal on the rear tray they can make a real nasty loud buzzing sounds and stop working so you might want to check on that.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Sounds good! Hope it helps.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

By the way, any ideas on that alternator condenser (size, model). As I said before its not a stock alternator but the 318i larger 85 amp alternator. Or does it matter.

Thanks,

12311356564 That is the part number I can get it for you for $18.10 cents let me know if you are interested!

Konrad.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978