• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 - $2500 - ATLANTA - NM/NA

MarkS

wow, I was going to the site to post this very listing. I'm on the hunt for my first 02. That's in my price range but the only 02 I've had any time with is my brother-in-laws which is a 76 in mint condition. So I don't know how much rust (or other work) will rule out a candidate for me.

My objective is something I can drive daily and upgrade over time. I have some mechanical skills and looking to improve them and teach my son at the same time. I would also like one to be a little roadworthy so I can go to a show like the Vintage (and actually make it there in the car). And that would be a 6-7 hour drive for me, I think. Maybe that's too tall an order, I don't know.

'72 Atlantik (RIP)

'02 E46 xiT with MT!

'67 Beetle

'69 Westy

Maybe you should hook up with Mark or other local FAQ'r and check it out...First rule of rust, is that where there is rust, there usually some more rust. The drivers's fender looks to have some up front, but fenders are not structural (not cheap, tho)...If the paint looks/smells new, I'd be very careful. I think that all 72's had ding strip/knee molding which this one doesn't...check for bubbles where attachment holes "were". Looks like a car coming back to life, but tread carefully. I'll cross my fingers that its a good fixer, not a money pit. Paint looks like Atlantik or a relative, see if there is a sticker on pass side in engine bay. Both of mine came from Atlanta area originally, and had pedal box, fender, and trunk well rust only. I hope you are as lucky. You might check the Turkis one in the for sale section from E.Nashville TN...your price, sorta local, and looked decent in pics. I would if it was closer. Maybe someone up there can look at it for you? Or for me...(dear wife, I didn't say that....)Good Luck, Dave V. in NC

Hey guys! The car belongs to me, and it looks like I will be taking it down. Anyone from the forum would like to come look at it give me a call. I am going to pull the drive train out Sunday, and start on the sheet metal next week. I should have a couple more 02's over here by the end of the weekend, and worst case you can come kick the tires on #1660013. We should have some kind of local 02 gathering anyways.

Jason

(678) 850-7311

68 2002 #1660013 Lucky # 13
75 2002 M20 swap

Yeah sometime next week I will do a couple of patches, and replace the outer skin on the front valance, and then it will be a very solid tub. The suspension and brakes on this car are ridiculously good. I drove it the 40 minutes home from the shop the last couple of days and while it ran very strong I wasn't happy with the oil pressure and the second gear synchro had a slight crunch, so I am going to swap in a good e21 2.0 motor that I have and a good Borg Warner synchro 4 speed. Or if anyone is really interested in the car I can fit a five speed. It will still be a project for sure, but one that you can go have a lot if fun with.

75 2002 M20 swap

No, It belonged to a good customer of mine, who actually gave me first option on it last week, but I have to get rid of a few before I bring anything else back to the shop. :) It was a good deal for sure. He found that car in North GA and just wanted to save it, so he sold it for what he had in it. I am getting ready to load the blue car on the trailer, and take it back up to the shop on my way out of town, so I will get sone good pics and load them and email them this afternoon. Totally off topic but does anyone have any interest in an Opel GT?

75 2002 M20 swap

96 C Rogers St. NE

Atlanta GA. 30317

It's a run down old building in the Kirkwood industrial zone, back behind some other buildings. I'll be back from Tennessee early tonight. Just give me a call if you would like to come down tomorrow. (678) 850-7311. I'd say you could swing by, but you can't really see anything through the fence.

Thanks,

Jason

75 2002 M20 swap

Oil pressure issue resolved. It was a bad Fram oil filter. I went out to start the car Friday and it never triggered the oil pressure switch and the light wouldnt go off. I shut it down quick, and towed it to the shop, pulled the filter swapped on a new mobile one filter and it pumped right up. Cleaned the engine, and then did another oil change, and no problems. Put about 150 miles on it today and it was back to going silly fast. $1750 firm this week for any FAQ'ers that want a good fast project!

75 2002 M20 swap