• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

travel to sweden

bueller

Hey guys,

My wife and I are traveling to Sweden for our belated honeymoon this summer (3 years in Sept). We're flying into Stockholm and will spend the week there but we also want to visit a more rural location(s). Our travel agent suggested we spend 4 nights in Mora to explore the lake region. Anyone have any experiences with Mora or another rural location we can spend some time in? We're not spending big cash for this trip so any old average hotel will do. I wanted to check out Ostersund but didn't know if it was worth the train trip if it had enough. I'm sort of obsessed with comfy socks and Woolpower is there. :D

While in Stockholm we're meeting up with a fellow FAQer--should be fun!

TIA,

Matt

FAQ member #4044

You mentioned taking a train, is renting a car for a day or two an option?

We drove from Arlanda (Stockholm airport) to Umea through the central portion of Sweden. Very beautiful, lots of trees and lakes. Drove through several cities, Enkoping, Avesta (world's largest dala horse), Borlange (any opera lovers here?), Mora, Orsa, Ostersund, Dorotea and Umea.

We also drove south along the coast from Umea to Stockholm, very interesting area of the coastline called the " High Coast", between Olmskoldsvik and Hamosand, specatcular coastline with high cliffs.

If you get a chance, Gotland is a fabulous island to visit, Visby the main port city is an old walled fortress that was the hub of shipping. Many old church ruins and restored churches.

Let me know if you're interested in any additional info, we have not been to the southern portion yet, thats the more popular area of Sweden.

We will be in Stockholm for a week visting friends this October.

Chris C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

our trip may be canceled. we haven't fully decided one way or the other. my contract for next school year was not renewed for financial reasons! doh! so i'm on the job hunt but my wife is pregnant and we won't be doing any traveling for a LONG time, especially such a big trip.

still think we should go?

matt

plans are to be in stockholm june 13-19, then up to Mora by car for 3 nights, then back to stockholm for one night until we fly out june 24.

last i heard, on a blog, gas prices were just under $10/gal. anyone have a more exact figure?

FAQ member #4044

• 11 years later...
On 4/5/2011 at 6:44 PM, clc said:

You mentioned taking a train, is renting a car for a day or two an option?

We drove from Arlanda (Stockholm airport) to Umea through the central portion of Sweden. Very beautiful, lots of trees and lakes. Drove through several cities, Enkoping, Avesta (world's largest dala horse), Borlange (any opera lovers here?), Mora, Orsa, Ostersund, Dorotea and Umea.

We also drove south along the coast from Umea to Stockholm, very interesting area of the coastline called the " High Coast", between Olmskoldsvik and Hamosand, specatcular coastline with high cliffs.

If you get a chance, Gotland is a fabulous island to visit, Visby the main port city is an old walled fortress that was the hub of shipping. Many old church ruins and restored churches.

Let me know if you're interested in any additional info, we have not been to the southern portion yet, thats the more popular area of Sweden.

We will be in Stockholm for a week visting friends this October.

Hello! I know it is 11 years later but I hope you are still active on here.

I actually live in Orsa and as you might remember it is not a big town, so I was very surprised to hear someone mention it. I hope you enjoyed your trip and that you got to see places like "helvetes fallet" and "stor stupet"