• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper strut bushing dust cover replacements...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just replaced my upper strut bushings and found that the old dust covers don't fit the new ones. (old covers dia too small, as well as the shock abs shaft too high) Where do I find proper dust covers? The source for my new strut bush doesn't carry 'em...go figure. In case application matters: Bilstein sports, with lowering springs (BAS), That shouldn't effect the shock shaft height within the engine bay though, correct? TIA

Guest Anonymous

Are you sure you have the correct upper support bearing? I checked my parts book and there seems to be only one dust cap and one upper strut bearing listed for the whole 02 production run. Could you have gotten the wrong parts? Also--did you reinstall all the washers, spacers etc in the correct order?

Springs and shocks shouldn't make any difference--I've used Konis, KYBs and Bilsteins, and the dust caps fit fine.

Good luck, and post what you discover...

cheers

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73

Guest Anonymous

I just wound up boiling the piss out of the original dust covers and with a little profanity encouragement managed to get them over the new ones. They're tight, but doing their job. The new s-tower bearing mounts were part #31 33 1 110 195 from BavAuto, and the only difference I could see in them was that the stud length was much shorter than the originals, just enough to get my strut brace on and washer/nuts good and tight. I kind of like not having all that excess stud sticking out...if it is the wrong part,it's working fine so far...if it grenades on me I'll just go the 'class action' route and get a full restoration out of 'em...."but your Honor, the sticker on the bag said 2002..." ;-)

-s

Guest Anonymous

Shad

What you got was the strut bearing for the Euro cars that didn't come with the spacer like the US cars did. I guess they don't have the long stud bearings any more (no big loss) You gotta be careful with those plastic dust caps--force 'em too much and they'll split.

cheers

Mike