• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripping Cromodora Rims?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

tii_wheels.jpg

I believe that Cromodoras are Magnesium wheels, which makes them a softer compound, right? How do I get them stripped & re-finished? The PO had them painted at Earl Scheib (along with the car - bad idea) and the rim paint is bubbling and cracking. I refuse to bling bling (chrome) them, but I do want to re-paint or powder coat them. Thanks in advance

sb

Guest Anonymous

then powder coated in "hi ho silver" (might be "hi low silver"). They are probably a little brighter than when the wheels were new but they look great. There are no metallic flakes in the powder coat finish. I think Hammerite smooth aluminum paint is pretty close to this color (I'm going to try it on my spare, just to see how it looks). If it's not the same color I'll have a wheel shop refinish it after they fix one of the lips.

The metal is very soft, dropped lugnuts will easily dent the rim.

-Jaycen

72 Agave 2002

pnw2002 member

Guest Anonymous

Some powdercoating places will not do magnesium, it has to be processed differently than Al, but a good wheel repair shop can usually do something nice w/ them. Porsche lugnuts are Aluminum and may be better for the softer mag and alloy wheels, I'd have to doublecheck the thread pitch, though....torque on them is less too, 65ft lbs.