• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head/block combo question

ardesign

I have a motor out of an EFI M10 318i (I believe). I want to be able to use the reverse rotation distributor (with the trigger wheel), and the better flowing head, but on my 2.0 block since I believe the 1.8 block is not as strong? M10 2002 2.0 motor is a junkyard motor so I do not know what year it is. Will the 1.8 head bolt up, and will it affect compression, or have any clearance issues?

Thanks!

'69 2002

The head will physically bolt up to the block, however there may be issues. Since the 2.0 pistons were not made for that head, they may hit, or give you low compression. To do it correctly, you will have to do some experimenting. You may end up with some custom made pistons to make the combination work.

Another route would be to use the head on the 2.0 engine and run the 318 cam which has the reverse gear on it. That will allow you to run the 318 distributor. That in itself may have other consequenses....is the cam for a carb motor or EFI and same question for the ignition.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

I am doing a custom fuel injection setup, and I need to use the 318i distributor, since it has a trigger wheel and sensor in it :) Hence why I want to run the 318 head. Also, it is FI, so the lower compression is just fine.

So there is no solid answer on whether the valves will hit?

'69 2002

I am doing a custom fuel injection setup, and I need to use the 318i distributor, since it has a trigger wheel and sensor in it :) Hence why I want to run the 318 head. Also, it is FI, so the lower compression is just fine.

So there is no solid answer on whether the valves will hit?

just swap the cam and keep all 2.0L guts.

note that you can swap the inards of the FI dizzy into a 02 dizzy, it is a magnetic trigger with a pass-to-zero circuit so it doesnt care about the rotation (CW or CCW).

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

If your ECU does all the spark advance, then you can weld up the advance mechanism and just change the drive gear and run the distributor backwards.

Doing this you may develop a slight oil leak as the distributor shaft has a spiral cut on to it to direct the oil film back into the engine, as it's going the wrong way it tends to pump oil out instead.

I've done it using parts from a 318 distributor & a 2002 distributor shaft to create a Frankenstein hybrid which worked really well.