• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat belt spring...

BarryM6

Was cleaning out the 73 today and i hit the plastic cover..

Then all hell broke lose..the spring became my next headache..

I got it all undone and know is where i need some advice.

I must be spring dyslexic.

Thanks Barry

It is an Autoflug unit I assume. The spring side usually has the rotary switch for fasten seat belt sign that sits inside the shaft (webbing spool), earlier models didn't have the switch. You need to remove that first from the cover and toss it. The rewinding of the spring is done in opposite direction to induce tension inside the plastic cover which has a special tab for the spring to attach. They are special springs in that inner portion of the spring that attaches to spool has a reverse winding, it is hard to explain easily, you need to figure it out. Chances are (50/50) spring has lost its sensitivity so you may not be able to make it work again. Email me if you want more details. If you have good mechanical skills, you can figure it out. Also, it is best done without the webbing which is a bitch to replace but you can't do it as it requires cutting the webbing from the spool, removing the pin, and restitching the webbing to reinstall. Good luck.