• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its been a long day and I need help with my shifter rebuild

After working 11 hours I decided to tear into and rebuild my shifter since earlier in the week I received my kit from Blunt.

So now here is my problem, I'm just not understanding how to get the shifter assembly out in the first place, I've looked at the parts blowout and it seems simple enough but when I'm under the car out inside I get nowhere. I've gotten the c-clip from the top and thats about as far as I've gotten. The handle wont pop off from the top. I see no c-clips underneath and I'm not even sure I have the right parts anymore.

Any help would be appreciated

Its a 72 and the early linkage style

For $74 this is what I got

9kwcr7.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Careful! It's confusing. From the top side, unscrew the shifter knob so that the shifter can pass through the hole in the body. Then remove the shifter boot or boot and tray and you can see the shifter platform tube coming through the hole in the body. Underneath, remove the angled support (unscrews at top and bottom. Leave the U bracket attached to the transmission. If the exhaust and the drive shaft are out, you can see the shifter rod (linkeage). One end fits the bushing at the bottom of the shift and the other fits the bushing on the transmsision control rod. The linkeage is held in place by clips, one fore and one aft. Remove both of them. On the top side, remove the 'inside' circlip. Then lift the spring retainer, the spring and the plastic bezel contacting the shifter ball upward. The entire shifter handle should come up and out of the tube in the platform. There is no need to remove the shifter platform from the tranny mounts unless you are going to pull the transmission. Actually, the parts you show in the photo indicate that you are planning to replace the shifter platform vibration mounts. You'll have to remove the entire platform from the underside to the at the mounts.

The foam donut that seal the hole in the body can be replaced at the same time. Depending on what platform / shifter you have, those 'top hat' style plastic bushings may or may not replace the ones you have. There are early and late models and since they don't look like the ones on my car I assume that they are for an erly model shifter. I'm still trying to get a look at what they are like ....I've never seen a picture of one. The allen head screws replace the ones in the mounts removed from the rear of the transmission. The white round plastic piece replaces the one the puts downward pressure on the shifter ball. That sits between the ball and the spring and is installed from the top of the shift handle, where the knob you removed in the beginning sits.

And to quote that famous saying; " Assembly is the reverse of removal " Good Luck!

Guest Anonymous

Careful! It's confusing. From the top side, unscrew the shifter knob so that the shifter can pass through the hole in the body. Then remove the shifter boot or boot and tray and you can see the shifter platform tube coming through the hole in the body. Underneath, remove the angled support (unscrews at top and bottom. Leave the U bracket attached to the transmission. If the exhaust and the drive shaft are out, you can see the shifter rod (linkeage). One end fits the bushing at the bottom of the shift and the other fits the bushing on the transmsision control rod. The linkeage is held in place by clips, one fore and one aft. Remove both of them. On the top side, remove the 'inside' circlip. Then lift the spring retainer, the spring and the plastic bezel contacting the shifter ball upward. The entire shifter handle should come up and out of the tube in the platform. There is no need to remove the shifter platform from the tranny mounts unless you are going to pull the transmission. Actually, the parts you show in the photo indicate that you are planning to replace the shifter platform vibration mounts. You'll have to remove the entire platform from the underside to the at the mounts.

The foam donut that seal the hole in the body can be replaced at the same time. Depending on what platform / shifter you have, those 'top hat' style plastic bushings may or may not replace the ones you have. There are early and late models and since they don't look like the ones on my car I assume that they are for an erly model shifter. I'm still trying to get a look at what they are like ....I've never seen a picture of one. The allen head screws replace the ones in the mounts removed from the rear of the transmission. The white round plastic piece replaces the one the puts downward pressure on the shifter ball. That sits between the ball and the spring and is installed from the top of the shift handle, where the knob you removed in the beginning sits.

And to quote that famous saying; " Assembly is the reverse of removal " Good Luck!

Here's how I did my 71. I didn't take any pictures of the foam donut, but it goes in from above (from inside the car) while the support bracket is still loose. A previous owner installed a short-shift kit on my car, so the linkage itself is different, but the support mechanism is stock.

http://www.cyclopticgaze.com/2002/17shift_mount.html

Brett

1971 2002