• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn wonky, not honky

JohnP

The horn was intermittant last fall but now after the winter, doesn't honk at all when the wheel is straight (center button on a Momo wheel) but when the wheel is turned more than 90 degrees left or right, it will honk no problem and then stop again as I go thru a full revolution. I removed the horn button and bent the wire contact to make sure it was contacting the inner ring in the column, but same result. I seem to recall there is another ground connector (or hot wire?) further down the steering column. Is there and could it be effected by the turning steering wheel? Any thoughts appreciated....the circuit is breaking somewhere. thx

John P

'72 tii, Taiga

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972

You'll have to pull the steering wheel. On most steering columns there should be a little "tab" that slides along the column as you turn the wheel. The contact area has probably gotten greasy and not getting a connection. Just clean it up a bit and you'll be honking away in no time!

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

'78 Kawasaki KZ650 Street Cafe project

2010 Subby Forester (grocery getter)