• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Places I think wires should go?

Weber1569

On the left side of the car under the hood. There are 4 spots (spades I think they are called) where I think wires should go (I think this because next to them are wires going from the same type of things) so I believe they should all be connected by 2 wires. Not sure what they are for or what the part they are hooked up to is, I think it maybe the starter? It is mounted on far left under hood and as far back towards the inside of the car as possible? Help? Thank you, I hope you can see what I'm talking about in the pictures.

post-17651-13667622578098_thumb.jpg

post-17651-13667622578987_thumb.jpg

post-17651-1366762257979_thumb.jpg

All the spades I am seeing are extras, nothing needs to be plugged into them. The white thing is a resistor, power goes in and comes out reduced, this is the power needed to the coil while running, the other wire from the starter bypasses the resistor so that you get more power to the coil while you are cranking (starting) for a hotter spark.

If your car is starting and running then you are fine.

74 Golf

Guest Anonymous

That is the ignition coil (cylindrical device about 6" long) and the ballast resistor.

+1 with the 'if it is starting and running correctly then don't sweat it' line

Hi

Is the resister something that can fail? My 02 suddenly started to run badly with no apparent reason. Mechanic thinks it may be electrical. The resister is about the only component that hasn't been replaced! When you say that it reduces the power, do you mean the volts, apparently I now have 4 volts.

SB

1973 BMW 2002 Tii

1973 Dino 246 GT

1973 Porsche 911 T

1964 Lotus 7 SII Cosworth