• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel pump power source?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Current setup is p.o.'s purolator under the rear seat, which is wired to accessory post in the ignition switch. My Haynes says there are 4 power and 2 ground posts on the switch, all the others are more difficult to get at than the accessory. Which should I use?- I want the 'farht'-drive- position. Very much would like to hear it is not the top post. But whatever, please enlighten me on the best way to power an electric pump. 1971 2002

TIA

Robert

Guest Anonymous

If you have a 12 fuse '71, check for a stray wire ending in an insulated terminal up under the dash in the vicinity of the hood release lever. If you find one, chances are it's for the electric fuel pump on the tii's (they were available in Europe before the US). If it's there, it's wired thru fuse 11 and is only hot when the ignition is on. Check with a voltmeter.

Failing that, or if you have a six fuse car, pick a fuse that's hot only with the ignition on, unscrew the fuse box (disconnect the battery first) and connect the fuel pump lead to that fuse. Hide an in-line swich somewhere and you'll have a nifty anti-theft device.

cheers

Mike

'69 Nevada

'73 Sahara

Guest Anonymous

running, in case of a bad accident where the fuel pump would contribute to a huge fireball. The relay was connected to a sensor in the ignition path, so that if the engine was spinning less than ~200 RPM it would shut off the pump, and inversely... you get it.

I would want something like this in my car if I had an electric pump. The L-jet cars did have much higher fuel pressure though, which means a fuel pump that pumps gallons a minute or whatever, but still... fuck excess pressure.