• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch master/slave diagnosis?

Ray_73Turkis_OH

My clutch pedal got verly light last night and I had to be careful to push it all the way to the floor to release.

I had just topped off the brake fluid and see that it is down about an 1/8 inch in a couple days.

I do not detect any leak under slave or master (in pedal box) yet.

I do see an air bubble in the translucent tube from the master to the slave.

I am traveling for work (chicago) so dont' have my bleeder hose.

Do you think it is the Master?

I am asking because I would like to order the part (Master or slave) so I can change it out this weekend?

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Guest Anonymous

if there is no leak in those 2 places, the only other place the fluid could be going IMHO is into the brake booster, from the master cylinder.

Guest Anonymous
My clutch pedal got verly light last night and I had to be careful to push it all the way to the floor to release.

I had just topped off the brake fluid and see that it is down about an 1/8 inch in a couple days.I do not detect any leak under slave or master (in pedal box) yet.I do see an air bubble in the translucent tube from the master to the slave.I am traveling for work (chicago) so dont' have my bleeder hose.

Do you think it is the Master?

I am asking because I would like to order the part (Master or slave) so I can change it out this weekend?

The brake fluid reservoir could lose a little bit of fluid due to hard use of brakes or clutch. You mention a translucent tube. I don't have anything like that on any of my cars and I assume translucent means "unreinforced." If its unreinforced, I can't imagine how it can contain the normal hydraulic pressure and it could be expanding with each pump of the pedal. (Are you sure you are not describing a hose from the reservoir to the master?)

If it were me, and I was experiencing a clutch pedal issue, I would bleed the clutch at the slave with the old method of assistant's foot on pedal. If that doesn't improve the pedal feel, you should be on guard for limping home. To be safe, order both the slave and master kits. They are not that expensive and rebuilding one generally overstresses the other.

Good luck.

Efrain,

Thanks for the response.

The translucent tube is the newer design of the brake fluid hose that goes from the Clutch master to the clutch slave.

I'll limp home tonight and bleed tomorrow.

Thanks,

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown