• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a pain is it to replace timing chain gasket?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got an oil leak that's pretty rough and it's coming from the timing chain cover down by the block. Just take everything off, rad, fan, alt, etc, and then take off the cover, replace gasket and job done?

What about the water pump? Need to remove as well?

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

When there's a leak it is often hard to tell the root cause at first. Oil does not always drip/flow down from a leak point, the airflow can push stuff around in funny patterns. When the front pulley seal throws oil, it flies around pretty good, and maybe you are just seeing where it collects.

Changing the front seal is _much_ easier than the front timing cover gasket. (Some of the h20 pump bolts do secure the front cover, so that would come off to do the gasket.)

Clean it off real well & spray powder (use dry powder deoderant if you can't find anything better). Then drive a short bit and investigate where the leak is from.

We use fluorescent engine oil dye & ultraviolet lights, which works very well with tricky problems like porousity in aluminum blocks and such.

// John

Guest Anonymous

If you had the head milled without milling the upper timimg cover section, you will probably experience a leak where the sections join. IIRC, you do not need to pull the water pump.

If this is a tii, you are in for much more fun! ;-p I was quoted $700 labor years ago by an independent for this on my tii. Finally did it myself! The injection pump is a bit in the way!

Good luck,

Ray