• Upcoming Events

Sign in to follow this  
2002Monster

Hopefully last ignition question....

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Okay, so I have figured out the headlight and the ignition switch wiring schematic...thanks for all the postings of what wire goes where....

Last question and I hope someone can be specific...

Where have people with MSD 6A modules hooked the switched 12V +ve wire upto?....

I've tried fuse #11 and there is only 0.35V there until you flick the highbeams on...then there is 12V....

I've tried fuse #12 and while there is 12V when in the on position, there is 0V when cranking....likewise with fuse #3 and #4...

Where do I hook up the switched 12V +ve wire?

Thanks again to all....

02Monster

Guest Anonymous

Pin #15 on the ignition switch

Pin #2 on the diagnostic plug.

Look for solid green wire on back of fuse box. Not all fuse boxes are wired the same.

the number 15 on the ignition switch doesn't line up with any pin...its between pins.

I also tried hooking up the switched wire for the 12V remote wire for the MSD and checked the voltage while cranking....0V.....

I'm about the light this fucking car on fire and piss on the ashes!!!!

Guest Anonymous

be sure to post pictures.

Yes, its odd that BMW put the #15 next to the pins - this diagram help?

2008-07-15_131140.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I have the MSD5, but I'm pretty sure your red trigger wire goes to the old wires that ran to the +15 terminal on the distributor. If you had the resistor it would be same wire that you disconnected for the 12v side of the resistor, it's bypass relay and +15 coil terminal. This will give you your 12v to your MSD in starting and run position of the ignition switch.

I don't have a resistor and I don't have any wire that would have gone to the coil.....

The only wires I have going down the right inner fender is the wiper washer motor wires, the black tach wire and the oil pressure wire.....that's it....

Guest Anonymous

OK, I forgot you are building this from scratch. Do you have any of the original green wires going to the ignition switch? One of those wires would have gone to the coil and you could tap into one of them If not just run a seperate trigger wire from the MSD to pin 15 of the ignition switch and that should do it.

I tried to run a wire from the ignition switch, where the green wires are...I tapped into that temporarily and there is no voltage while I crank the engine over......

Guest Anonymous

Did you check the ignition switch terminal with a voltmeter? Try this. Right before you crank the engine, hook the pos terminal of the battery to the trigger wire, then crank and see if it starts. If it starts then you need to figure out why the ignition switch is not giving you 12v during crank and run. Maybe the switch is bad or maybe the +12 is not hooked up to the proper terminal. If it doesn't start then other wires from the MSD/coil aren't hooked up properly. Double check the ground wire as nothing will work if if isn't grounded properly.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this