• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changes my strut bearings without using a spring compressor.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The strut bearings on my '72 were so bad they were dangerous, so I replaced them yesterday. I used a pair of nylon straps with turnbuckles and attached them from the hub plate to the top of the coils on each side. I got them tight enough to hold the spring in place (stock springs) when I took the top nut off, then was able to push them down far enough to put the nut back on after replacing the bearing. I was surprised it worked so well.

Guest Anonymous

lisaoutintheshade100_wide.jpg

use impact gun on top of shock nut,then jack car into the air. disassemble whatever you need to to allow the shock/spring to drop free so you can remove the top bearing, slide a new one in. Then just lower car slowly making sure shock goes back into the center hole. Reattach top nut, and tighten up whatever you needed to loosen to get it all to drop free enough.

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

Trust me, I wouldn't have done it if I felt it was unsafe. I've also used those <$10 compressors because of the safety factor and almost killed myself when they spun to the same side of the spring. What I did was safe only because I didn't put it under all that pressure. I like using the clamshell type compressors but didn't have access to one this time.

I hear ya tho.