• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front tire rubbing issue fix

ctown

My recently aquired 1973 2002tii has tire rubbing issues.

The car has a stock ride height (or appears to be to a newbie)

Running the RB's from cj's group buy

-15" diameter

-7" width

-+25mm offset

Using Falken Ziex Ze512 with 205/50's

My fix is going to be running 195/55's upfront and keeping the 205's in the back.

The pic below shows the rubbing (read rolling the spoiler), it is equally ugly on both sides.

It happens when it is cranked left or right on full lock (probably earlier before the spoiler rolled).

Opinions, a fix or do I have some other issue's.

Don

post-3382-136675975501_thumb.jpg

post-3382-13667597558073_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Similar to your suggestion, I used a padded baseball bat to gently massage the front lip out of the way. Have used the same method on more than one car and without any paint cracks!

Looks like I will have to do some minor body work (read baseball bat).

Couple of things I did not mention

1/ one front tire fricked because of a bad ball joint (parts on order from blunt), tire needs to replaced

2/ will be looking at IE stage 1 spring in the spring (1.25 inches lower)

I still not sure about the 205's up front, cut my losses now?

Thanks for your input.

Don

I am an inch lower in the front with 210's and a 5mil spacer. After massaging the air damn it doesn't rub. The best way to do if you are concerned with looks is to get a heat gun. Heat up the paint a little and use a rubber mallat or dead blow to gently move the air damn out. The heat will soften up the paint so it won't crack and the soft hammer will help keep you from adding any peaks to the steel.

With that said I am going to 195's so that I can drop it lower and stop rubbing the inside of the upper fender. That or I will shorten the lower control arm a 1/4" and keep the 210's off the fender.