• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with starting circuit wiring SOLVED

kubes

My 74 tii won't "turn over" via the key. When you turn the ignition switch to the starter position noting happens. The oil lamp does come on and the battery is fully charged. I can trigger the starter solenoid and start the car fine either directly on the solenoid at the starter or the diagnostic plug. Also there is voltage at pin 50 from the ignition switch when its turned completely to the right. So I know the switch is good and the start / solenoid is fine

This issue seemed to come from swapping out the tii timer module. Of course that was the first project of the day so I do not know if it is really related or not. As I did not attempt to start the car prior to starting the project.

So I am down to tracing the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. My guess is that some wiring in that area (by the fuse box) is lose or corroded. Of course the po taped everything tightly together....

Does anyone know how the wires run from the switch to the sinoid? Are there any connections points? Places a wire could break?

It tuned out to be the "starter relay" as labeled on the wiring diagram. Mostly called the seat belt interlock relay. Just removed it from the starting circuit. It was an easy fix as BMW had connectors on both sides of the relay so was able to just unplugged the wire from the relay and then plugged the wire out of the relay straight onto the #50 terminal of the ignition switch.

I was working the day before, funny how it just died after 34 years.