• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My valves have soft nuts?

Doing my first valve adjustment last night and one of the nuts just twisted the treads off. Is that normal or did I inherit an existing problem from the PO? At any rate the local BMW dealer has to special order them, which means no driving the 2002 for the 4th of July weekend. Hurry up and wait.

Is there a trick to replacing the bolt through the ecentric?

Thanks for any help,

Collin in Scottsdale

'76 Chamonix

Guest Anonymous

The bolts do have a tendency to get over torqued and twist off. The PO may have dome most of the damage and you just came along and finished the job. You may be lucky in that it could have loosened up if it was stretched beyond the yeild point.

I don't recall any tricks or anything except make sure you block off any oil drains to keep anything dropped from falling into the motor and maybe run tape or something else around the rocker arm to keep the eccentric from moving much if at all when the bolt is removed.

Rather than waiting on the Dealer, get down to the local Pick 'n' Pull. And get a hand full of bolts & nuts from any BMW M10 or M20 motor.

That will have you on the road in no time.

Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

Guest Anonymous
Rather than waiting on the Dealer, get down to the local Pick 'n' Pull. And get a hand full of bolts & nuts from any BMW M10 or M20 motor.

That will have you on the road in no time.

Beaner7102

They are available from your local parts store through WorldPac and are OEM Febi/Bilstein should be able to get them in a few hours if you are in a major centre.