• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to get the best seat restoration?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 72 tii and I want like new replacements or is anyone doing great restoration? What are the options for like new seats?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Guest Anonymous

NOT do a very good job. There are also upholstery kits available out there like at www.upholstery.com, and Bimmerparts (I think its them). I imagine Maximillian has them too. You could then get an upholsterer to install the kits. That way, if you have original seats and want the fabric to look the same (or close to it) it's an easy job for your upholsterer.

If you have vinyl, a good upholsterer can redo your seats back to as new, or better than new condition. Consider using heavy duty vinyl as used on snow mobiles. It's apparently really durable stuff.

I've seen some gawd awful upholstery jobs done by supposedly reputable shops. If you have vintage car restorers or rodders near you, I'd ask them who they use. There's often really good upholsterers working out of their homes. You don't want a place that treats your seats like a commodity, you want someone who knows how to do it right and takes pride in their work.

Having said that, if you have the bucks, I would pay for the extra costs to send them to a shop in '02 land' that has a lots of good referals and happy customers. I've heard that the previously mentioned shop does really good work.

I've got 3 sets of Recaros to redo some day, and I've got referals for 2 local places from my neighbor how restores Gullwing Mercedes and others. One is small time operator that works almost exclusively for Rudy, and the other is a long established larger shop.

There's something to be said for using someone local, like seeing some examples of their work, and material samples.

Hope this helps a bit, just my 2 cents worth.

Gil

72 Tii