• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dumb ass tranny oil Q

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

p1010001.jpg?bcVkpa8A4mFw.Hn5

I was speaking to my mechanic about some dificulties on my wife's 73 tii 4 speed tranny. it was suggested that the oil level may be low. where do I add oil and is there a special brand/type to add? we are having a 5 speed installed soon so I've not been too concerned, but kat (wife) said she notices the lever is requiring more effort.

Guest Anonymous

steveos_car_tiny.jpg

Get Red Line MTL. This stuff is great. To drin the oil you'll need to unscrew a bolt on the bottom of the tranny. And to fill it up a bolt on the side of the tranny. Make sure to remove the fill bolt first. Just to make sure that you can fill it up before you drain it.

The tools needed are. A big wrench (don't remember the size) for the drain bolt and a big Allan Wrench for the fill bolt. I think it's 17mm. And a pump so that you can get the fluid into the tranny. I used a $10 garden sprayer from OSH.

It's been a while since i've done it. it's pretty easy if you got the tools.

steve

Guest Anonymous

If the "lever is getting harder to shift" That may be the syncros going bad or you may need a shirter rebuild as the shifter, and correct me if I'm wrong here, does not go directly into the tranny.

I have just recently had my gear oil changed and my shifter is still hard to shift at times; probably due to a rebuild needed on the shifter.

But I'm no expert by any means. Good Luck.

Guest Anonymous

There's a big nut (allen head as I recall) on the driver's side of the tranny (behind the bellhousing). Synthetics are commonly used to reduce friction and I've heard claims that they can get sticky syncros unstuck. The 5-speed is the way to go. Good luck

Guest Anonymous

Lots of GL-5 gear lubes are formulated for hypoid gears, and contain addititves that attack the brass synchros.

GL-4, or other non-hypoid gear oil, or a reputable synthetic brand like Red Line is safe.

I prefer Red Line MT90, the MTL is a little thin (which might be good for you if you're in cold climate most of the year.) MT90 is not too thick to cause high effort.

Buy your own lube, don't let a service station fill it from their bulk supply. They probably would use normal hypoid gear lube. This is why many manual transmission cars came with an ATF specified (plus ATF saves the car company a lot of money). ATF does not have the shear strength of gear oil.

// John