• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear bumper overides

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a '72tii. I would like to remove the rear US bumper overrides and install the euro smoooooth look. Have any of you done this? Which parts are needed? I noticed that the rubber strip on my bumper has a hole in it where the bolt for the overide is. Do I need to relace the rubber?

Thanks\

Pete

Guest Anonymous

bumper.jpg

My overriders were scrogged, so I took them off. In order to do this, you have to replace the carriage bolt that fits through the overrider and holds the bumper on to the bracket with another bolt. I used stainless steel bolts about 1.5" long on each side and opened up the hole in the rubber strip just a tad so that the bolt head would fit through... then greased the rubber up and used some friendly persuasion to get the bolt head through the rubber strip. Also, I bought four 1" stainless steel carriage bolts (and polished the heads) to replace the original, rusty chrome head bolts that hold the bumper end pieces to the center.

I think it looks pretty good, but IMO not as good as the Euro bumper. The holes in the rubber strip are pretty inobtrusive, but I will probably try and fill them in later. BTW, I don't think the Euro bumper has the rubber strip, does it?

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

I like the look w/o the overirdes. In fact I am going to the euro front bumper as well. I purchased a new center section of the bumper (mine had a dent in it). On the true euro bumper the tag lights are mounted on the bumper. If you want to make this conversion, call Paul at Max's, he has all the necessary hardware, etc.

Guest Anonymous

The Euro Bumper still has the rubber strip. It however does NOT have the holes it in, as it runs on the top side of teh chrome 'euro' strips. I just saw one the other day.

Trent

Guest Anonymous

Everyone below summed it up well - call Paul @ Max and he almost knows the parts from memory. I just ordered the parts. Yes, to do it right, you should replace the rubber strip b/c the existing one has bolt holes and may have been marred by the overriders. Unfortunately, the rubber strip is not cheap (I don't remember the cost, but remember being shocked). I plan to patch the bolt holes and see how it looks before I spend the $$ on the new rubber strip.

Josh