• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED HELP with electronic ignition.

I have a Pertronic ignition in the distributor. Do I also need a higher out put coil or will the blue coil work. I just got done fixing all the air leak in the motor and I cannot get power from the car at about 3k rpm. The timing is set and the cap, rotor, plugs, wires are all good. The reason I ask is I heard you need the higher output coil for the electrnic ignition. Thanks, Scott.

I run Pertronix and I use the original black coil and it runs fine. Is your distribitor a mechanical or vacuum advance? That might be the problem. It might be getting stuck and not advancing the timing as your RPM's increase. Good luck!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Its mechanical. Trying to narrow it down between the coil and dist. Mine has the blue coil in it. Its a 1969 1600 with a 1974 2.0L engine.

Also if this needs to be fixed is it a DIY deal? If not is there a reputable place that can do it or where I can buy one?

Your stock coil should be fine, at least that was what I was told (I upgraded anyway though so I don't have first hand expierience).

Emery

"So this is what happens when BAD meets EVIL!"

76 2002

It has stuff!