• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Service Interval?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What do BMW recommend as the service interval? My mechanic says it's 3000 miles - is this right? Also, what items are covered by minor/major servicing?

Guest Anonymous

that should be covered in each. But just off the top of my head, the 3000 miles interval should include:

Changing the oil

checking points, pulling plugs to check for fouling, etc.

checking condition of fan, other belts

doing a visual on all the hoses

taking a look at the brake pads/rotors

checking brake fluid level

checking air and fuel filters

removing fuses and cleaning contacts

checking adjustment of rear brakes,

and all kinds of stuff like that.

Some of the above can probably be skipped at the 3k interval, but you might as well just do a basic visual inspection of all the easy-to-spot stuff while youre in there changing the oil anyways. More "major" service stuff would be adjusting the valves, replacing belts and hoses, flushing and changing the fluids in the cooling and hydraulic systems, doing an alignment, blah blah, etc. Its all basically common sense stuff I guess. Im sure Sam will have more/better info on all this when he gets his article together... just wanted to give a quickie rundown.

-Rob

(Damn! Ive got to get to sleep! ;))