• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long Nose Sparking plugs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

SOmewhere in the archives there is a limited discussion regarding extra long nose sparkingplugs recommended for use in the later model sohc 6 cyl models. Bosch WR9ls. SOmeone on another forum recommended this plug for use on earlier 6 cyl models. IF there is a performance gain by using a plug that extends further into the combustion chamber, and the e12 and e21 heads are virtually identical to the earlier 6 cyl models, it would stand to reason that our 2002's might likewise benefit from using these plugs. I do not have a head handy, but it seems to me that the projected nose plugs may interfere with the intake valve operation. Has anyone tried these or similar "projected nose" plugs??

TIA

"Projected tip" (better for self cleaning) is for

oil burning worn out motors.

No advantage for your clean running o.k. motor.

spt-heatinout.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

CD: Then why did BMW specify these plugs for my 85 535? To the best of my knowledge its cleaner burning than my 02! Besides, by looking at the Bosch chart, it appears that these other plugs are 2 mm longer than the projected nose W8DC's that are already in their.

Guest Anonymous

depends on who you ask. factory says w8dc or w7dc bosch. Factory may be best starting point but not always the best or only answer. see solex 2 barrel carb and heater assembly as not the best factory choices.

I personally use w7dc's or bp6es NGKs (also used autolite 64's and nippondenso 22exu's?), but if I knew for sure there were no clearance issues i'd try some of the other alternatives. mostly because i'm adventurous, impetuous and believe that despite all we know, there is a lot more that we dont know.

Oh yeah. Long nose will be better. They are further into the combustion chamber providing better combustion. They will promote det a little earlier but these engines are so woefully short of compression that isn't an issue.

The problem is you can only push the plug about 20thou further into the chamber before it meets with the intake valve. So do check you have clearance for your plug before fitting it.

Cheers,

Glen.