• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel tank attaching parts - test your knowledge

gil2002

Hey 02 wonks,

I think I've found a mistake in the BMW Parts "micro fiche," but I'd like your confirmation.

There is a sequence of parts that looks odd on the following page,

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2583&mospid=47141&btnr=16_0384&hg=16&fg=05

The picture shows parts 10, 11, 12, but I think the order should be 11, 10, 12 where,

10 is the gas cap flange

11 is the paper gasket

12 is the ring that presses the rubber filler neck

How is your car put together?

Thanks,

Gil

73 2002tii (about to install the paper gasket)

I *think* you're right. I just took my gas tank out to seal it (ended up screwing it up but thats another story...) and had to pull that apart. As I recall, the sandwich of parts from the inside to out went 12 14 10 11. The filler tube made up the seal by itself between the two metal pieces, then the paper gasket went up next to the flange on the body with the drill holes for the sheet metal screws to go into. I may be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking. Even so, I may be able to look tomorrow after work but you never know, more than one car could be put back together incorrectly. Why would they need a paper gasket where there already is a thick rubber piece? I don't know, but it does raise that question.

Edit - I'm confused now, I seem to recall almost now that the gasket was before the the #10 ring that bolted to the chassis since I don't remember having a great time lining up the holes and didn't have a gasket in the way. I wouldn't doubt that the gasket goes where the parts diagram indicates. #10 has a cup to it to not only grab up the filler neck but also speculatively to hold that paper gasket in place as well. That brings back the case of how well rubber seals things already, so why bother. If it wasn't there I wouldn't even have bothered with it and if anything, a light film of silicone around the ring on the body would be more than enough to seal anything that may want to drip through there. Long story short, I dont think its going to kill you no matter where ya put it.

Mine was a 10,11,12... that was the way I put it back - makes sense to me as there is no point sealing between where it bolts to and part 10 as no fuel should theoretically ever end up there... where as the gap between the rubber and the two metal pieces can end up with fuel in there... well thats what I thought.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg