• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Professional Rust Proofing Query!

02_Plate

Hello all, im afetr a small bit of advice for whoevers into rustproofing/undersealing cars..

Im thinking of getting my 2002 professionally undersealed (no, this isnt a waxoyl Vs Dinitrol debate, i dont too much care which = 6 of one/half dozen of the other) so i was wondering if theres any specific 'rot areas' or hotspots that i should tell them they should definitely cater for?

thanks in advance!

ps. its never been undersealed/rust-proofed ever before, but its slowly starting to go in 1 tiny place, and yes, ill get it seen to before it gets undersealed ;)

I am new to the 02 world and this forum so pardon me if this has been covered or is inane. Have you considered Rhino lining. I have used it on the undersides, suspension etc of 4 wheel drives for years and it has proven to be 100% bullet proof. Just a thought.

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

join the club - im new to all sorts of restoration/engineering work if im honest!

Rhino linings?.. nope, id not even heard of it until your post albawhore. so ive looked into it and theyre opening a few places near-ish to me (warwick/castle donnington).

hey albawhore, I know they do 4x4's and trucks but for a classic car/2002 would you say this is better than using waxoyl/dinitrol, in your experience?

ps. again, apologies to other forum boaders if this area/topic has been covered a gaz-illion times before - just ignore us; we'll soon move along quietly with nothing to see here.. ;)

Rustfighting and rustproofing go hand-in-hand with 02s. There are a bunch of posts on the subject and my best advice is to do a forum search and enter something like “rustproofing,” to come up with the best list of trouble spots.

I am originally from the 4x4 world too, and I have a gallon of Herculiner ready to rustproof the interior of the 02. (Herculiner is the DIY roll-on version of Rhino). Both Rhino and Herc are plastic coatings that are impenetrable and tough.

My rustproofing philosophy is to stop it from the inside out first. On my 1976, I already have removed the carpet and that tar liner that is plastered all over the interior (no small feat). Next I will cut out and weld patches of the couple bad spots. I will remove all the steel tub plugs and permanently glue them in with 3M Marine Adhesive. Then I will POR-15 the minor rust, apply a coat of brush-on sound proofing, then top everything off with a few coats of Herculiner, which will be my final flooring layer. I currently have no plans to put carpet back in.

My 1976 was undercoated by the PO, so I am not familiar with those options. I would probably lean toward PO5-15 and Herculiner for undercoating because it has worked nicely on my jeep. If you undercoat without first treating the rust, you are wasting your $$$; thus the POR-15 first.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

I think Randy has the right idea. 2002s mostly rust from the inside out and spraying a bunch of goo on the bottom isn't going to help much. It might even make the problem worse.

As far as prevention goes, try to keep moisture from getting inside in the first place. Check all your window, trunk, and gas tank rubber seals. Radio antenna holes too. Consider replacing some or all of them. If your rockers haven't already rusted through, pull your rear seat side panels out and dump some clear POR-15 down the inside of the quarter panel. Repeat this procedure anywhere else you can. Inside the door bottoms, the nose, rear fender lips, etc. Anywhere gravity, moisture, and two layers of metal come together. I've used an Eastwood undercoating kit to blast POR-15 into all kinds of nooks and crannies.

Check my site out to see some examples of rust repair. See link in signature.

quarter_driver_49.jpg

Martin

'73tii rustoration

2002tii-restoration.org

Idon't know jack #$@! about the other two compounds you mentioned I agree with Randy and Martin though fix what is bad (correctly) and do both sides (in and out). Herculiner is a great! product if you want the sweat equity, which most of us masochists signed on for the first time we drove an 02. The reason I brought up the Rhino lining is that you do the prep, you drop it off and they call you when it is done (not to mention they guarantee their work).

Good Luck

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

For a restoration you may want to do with what the others are saying but for an everyday car that isn't going under the knife again wax proofing is a good idea.

-Spray into the rockers

-in the cavity above the upper rear spring mount

-behind the front turn lamps from behind (within the wheel well)

-inside the front frame rails

-around the pedal box

-Any seams or lips under the car

-inside the cavity in the nose just below the radiator

-between the quarter panel and the rear rear well. You can reach this from the trunk and when the rear seat is removed

-Jaycen PNW2002