• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mediablasting vs Sandblasting

Mitch

what are the real differences and what would you prefer. Also, what are some prices that I could expect? I can get the smaller stuff for free, but if I get a shell, I'll have it blasted. If it matters, I could probably get either one at a discount because I have "connections", so what could I expect to get off? the body panels will not be blasted, just the unibody shell.

Sandblast will warp the roof, 1/4s, rear panel, and any other place that is sort of flat. Sand is only for drip rails, posts, and other super strong areas.

Media blasting is advertisied as not warping panels, but '02 hoods are so close to flat that it's a gamble not worth taking. You should be ok doing the shell only, but be sure it's guaranteed not to warp. Good luck.

what are the real differences and what would you prefer. Also, what are some prices that I could expect? I can get the smaller stuff for free, but if I get a shell, I'll have it blasted. If it matters, I could probably get either one at a discount because I have "connections", so what could I expect to get off? the body panels will not be blasted, just the unibody shell.

Mitch,

Media blasting is very quick to remove paint and primer, and much of the undercoating but it will not remove rust or bondo. It is very agressive without creating heat.

Soda blasting (less agressive) or glass beading (more agressive) will remove the other things you don't want the plastic won't take off.

Sand blasting is really reserved for ship hulls, big tanks and road moving equipment where the metal is very thick and the job s very difficult without worrying about heat.

Prices vary depending on your locale. A tub would probably run $500 and up for the media, and most places charge by the 1/4 hour for glass or soda blasting since it's not required for the whole deal.

The metal will begin rusting again with 24-48 hours after the stripping occurs so you need to have your metal prep, POR-15 and primer ready to go on the car soon after the blastings done so something else to consider.

Vern